EverQuest Next

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Sapell, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Sapell New Member

I along with many people started EQ with it's birthday.Can that feeling of running to lower guk in what meek armor i have collected ever be replaced,possible.Myself along with many gamers will remember the early days of EQ as the Golden days of gaming.Where you actually adventured to new places.My hopes for EverQuest Next is to have all the enjoyable things that adventure brings along with the relistic things we know people want in games.

On another note would love to see Brownie monks!
  2. Nylrem Augur

The trepidation and uneasy feeling you first had when venturing into a dangerous place... and the possible very long (and SLLLOOOOWWWW) run to get your corpse from your bind will never ever be implemented again in a successful game.

The majority of players do not have the time or patience any more to travel for 20 minutes or more (good grief, remember the boats?) to get to a viable hunting place, with the very real possibility of dying and having to make that run AGAIN, naked.

THAT is what a majority of the pucker factor was from, was the very real possibility that you were going to have a very large chunk of time wasted if you died and it was going to be fairly difficult to get to your corpse, and get your gear back.

Most modern players just will not stand for that, any more. As much as I love EQ, I am quite sure I would quickly become frustrated with a game implementation like that, in modern times.

Go ahead... make a level 1 toon... don't equip it with anything better than original drop stuff, don't PL it, don't buy a mount, med/heal for 15 minutes every time you get low on health/mana, and everything else you seem to forget was just a big pain... and see how enjoyable it is for you, playing like that.
  3. Sinestra Augur

Yay! Another thread asking the same things!
  4. JoeDalton New Member

Nylrem, I say this without trying to be mean or anything so don't take it personaly.
    I feel that that shortsighted way of looking at gaming is exactly why no game since EQ has drawn me in in the same way. The stories I tell of my time playing EQ are not of the time I completed my Paladin epic but they are about the time my book rotted on the dragon because all the rezzers died during the raid. They are about the crazy corpse run in the Plane of Hate I had to do. They are about a very long time friend i made when I was around level 5 who came in on a boat while invis and asked me to buy something from a vendor because he was KoS. Things that are easy and without frustration will never be rewarding. I see so many people asking to have a game that will give them the same amazingly adventurous experience as EQ but without the hassle and I wonder if they are really so unaware what made the adventure so special.

The reason EQ will be forever unmatched in many peoples minds isn't because of the times they had things go smoothly, it is because of the times they had trouble and needed to make new friends to help them overcome their problems. The reason no game since then has matched those feelings is exactly because they took out anything that might cause frustration.

I once got a friend into EQ for a 2 week free trial, this was to get him into EQ2 so he could see what an mmorpg was. When he tells stories about his mmorpg experience he tells a story about his corpse run in EQ, not about a game where he could sail to level 50.

If I hope for anything in EQ next, it is that they will realize what the difference was between EQ and all the mmorpg's since then.
  5. Vonador Journeyman

Then give the people what they want.

This isn't overly complicated, is it?
  6. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Giving everyone what they ask for when it comes to game development is generally a horrible horrible horribly awful idea.
    Vonador and Sinestra like this.
  7. Sinestra Augur

It's also not over complicated to place your support in one thread rather than making another one that does absolutely nothing. Take your personal issue with me elsewhere, no one's interested in it.

Even the devs and Piestro have said not to start multiple threads. When there are already threads that exist that bring up your issue, you should post in them rather than starting another one. It actually accomplishes the opposite of what you intend. That's not overly complicated either, is it?
  8. Vonador Journeyman

Sounds to me like you think this thread has something to do with what was said elsewhere. It doesn't. I didn't even make this thread. Stop responding to everyone who feels differently about the current game, and about the future game, so abrasively. You're allowed your opinion, and other people are allowed theirs without your glorious 'insight' [read: snark] about how redundant it is.

And for the love of baby back ribs, stop getting your panties in a bunch over me. It's flattering, but entirely unnecessary.

My response was directly towards Sinestra, because he/she's trying to bring other discussions into a thread where it has no place. This is about EQNext, not about people asking for EverQuest servers. And in that, you're exactly right! People should not receive what they want, they should receive what the developers believe would create an immersive, rewarding, long-lasting experience.
  9. Sinestra Augur

lol it's so sad.
  10. Sinestra Augur

And no, you weren't responding directly to me because I'm trying to bring other discussions here with that response. My response that you clearly quoted and can't change now had nothing to do with the other discussion. We hadn't even argued in the other thread when I made the original comment that you responded to.

Nice try though.
  11. Vonador Journeyman

EDIT: Screw it, I'm not going to let another thread get hijacked

Look, ponies!
  12. Sinestra Augur

This post was made by me before the "other thread" argument even started. Followed by you quoting this and replying with...

Then when Raptorjesus5 quoted your response to my original post, and replied with his opinion on your post.

You then respond a defense of your opinion with this...

My original post which you quoted and responded to was made before the argument or any other comment in this thread and had nothing to do with new servers. Nothing at all. You made an assumption, made snide comments, and then tried to blame me for it. There is a problem here, but it's not me.
  13. skkoris New Member

I say this without trying to be mean or anything so don't take it personaly.
    I feel that that shortsighted way of looking at gaming is exactly why no game since EQ has drawn me in in the same way. The stories I tell of my time playing EQ are not of the time I completed my Paladin epic but they are about the time my book rotted on the dragon because all the rezzers died during the raid. They are about the crazy corpse run in the Plane of Hate I had to do. They are about a very long time friend i made when I was around level 5 who came in on a boat while invis and asked me to buy something from a vendor because he was KoS. Things that are easy and without frustration will never be rewarding. I see so many people asking to have a game that will give them the same amazingly adventurous experience as EQ but without the hassle and I wonder if they are really so unaware what made the adventure so special.

The reason EQ will be forever unmatched in many peoples minds isn't because of the times they had things go smoothly, it is because of the times they had trouble and needed to make new friends to help them overcome their problems. The reason no game since then has matched those feelings is exactly because they took out anything that might cause frustration.

I once got a friend into EQ for a 2 week free trial, this was to get him into EQ2 so he could see what an mmorpg was. When he tells stories about his mmorpg experience he tells a story about his corpse run in EQ, not about a game where he could sail to level 50.

If I hope for anything in EQ next, it is that they will realize what the difference was between EQ and all the mmorpg's since then.
    I agree 100% Make a game for people who want to invest a lot of time into it.
  14. Trace Bigboots New Member

I agree with alot of things being said from both sides of this darkened wall. I think what would be a option everyone would enjoy, imo, would be a "Prestige server." One that didn't have all the super xp bonuses, included mobs that trained you to zone, not just 5 feet from their standing point, corpse runs (atleast to the point of a corpse summoning location in each zone) with bind points and limitations to bind points. Player provided fast travel, buffs that only landed within 9-10 levels of the spell up or down. Slower xp curve. I can't remember the last good MMO where tier1-2 gear even mattered. Starter quests quickly became worthless, you didn't have to do them to get a decent weapon for your weeks of 1-10 adventuring. Grinding mobs for xp as groups, these were all events that made you a part of a community. The timeline from 1-50 was measured in years. You were a part of your character and they meant something to you. It was an adventure, not a toy store train ride to the end to get your candy cane on Santa's lap....

Digression to the point again, I would really love to see them entertain atleast a single server dedicated to this demographic and see if it grows or dies from there. Thats both smart marketing and pleasing both crowds. As long as they do not allow player migration between the two server types.