What's in a name?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by ARCHIVED-Uumuuanu, Mar 30, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Uumuuanu Guest

So for those of you that did not pic a random name and created one of your own, what does it mean? Why did you pick it, would you change it? Personally I hand picked all of mine. Uumuuanu was my first and was actually derived from me sitting there saying umm umm man umm as I tried to figure out a good one. Others were easier for me.

Uumuuanu Uumannuu (oooh moo a new you man you)
    Keloch Holypope (Keloch is kinda irish which is the look I went for, holy pope being hes a cleric)
    Meowlee Attack (Vahshir Warrior, kinda like a cats melee attack)
    Uumlech (Uumuuanu and Keloch combined for SK)
    Nutso Bezerko (kinda obvious huh)
    Mancubb (whats more cute and romantic than a singing kitten?)
    Obsidiana (Erudite wizard) Not referencing her being black (not racist) but referencing that obisidan is thought to be of great power by ancient tribes that believe in magic.

What's in a name? What does your character's name mean, why did you pick that?
  2. ARCHIVED--Taralynn- Guest

I make names that actually look and sound like names (and in some cases I guess they actually ARE names, which is technically against the naming guidelines but thats okay). Therefore they don't "mean" anything.

Only one name every in my dozens of characters was from the random name thingy (Teilie). Test server is an original server (there at release) with a huge base of players who have made characters on it (few of whom stay of course); as such the name filter has become almost impossible for any new good name to get past. I wish they'd take a look at that, actually... be nice if a few names were released back into the userpool.
  3. ARCHIVED-Mauvareen Guest

Mauvareen= name of my families boat, also the name of an ancient irish fairy queen in irish lore
    Mauvie= baby Mauvareen
    Shinanagins= name of my cat, we call her nana for short (toon is a kitty bard btw)
    Maeb= celtic fairy queen, mentioned in Shakespears Romeo and Juliet
  4. ARCHIVED-AmethystNights Guest

my himizuko(a wood-elf rogue) is pretty much named "child of discord" in japanese..... now all I need to do is figure out a good last name that means something too
    my oniko(human necro) is named "demon child" in japanese
    yes i am one of those obsessers over japanese things...(^_^)/~~~
  5. ARCHIVED-ibid Guest

Typically, I try to make my names as short as possible with as few syllables as possible. That makes it easy for people to send me tells. <smile>

Ibid
  6. ARCHIVED-GrimBot Guest

It really depends on what kind of mood I'm in. I've let the computer make a couple of names because I was so tired of being denied the name I was trying to get. Really no reason why I did any of the names.
    I'm spontanious most of the time. Sometimes that's a bad thing cause I get the occasional foot-in-the-mouth syndrome. :smileysurprised:
    The ones that I did do are:
    43 Iksar Monk - Noemore Monkeybizness
    29 Gnome Mage - Needmore Anklestobite

EQ made names are: (none of these have any last name.)
    39 Necro - Fayben
    44 Shammy #1 - Thumba
    42 Shammy #2 - Doknot
    The rest of the toons that I made are not worth mentioning.
  7. ARCHIVED-stopmoving Guest

jack
    of
    all
    trades
  8. ARCHIVED-The-Moss-Snake Guest

Lakotah was chosen for my real life heritage and her last name is my ex's surname for his mage.
    Rahnn was spit out of the generator but was so very close to what I wanted I kept it. (Wanted a variation of Rain)
    my hardly EVER used warrior is Ryyane which is a mis-spelling of my RL name.
    Igmula is my 14 bst kitty..and means "kitten" in my native language.
    Stardroplet is a mule, plain and simple and I made her on a night of weird weather where it was raining yet I could see the stars.
  9. ARCHIVED-offta Guest

First character was a name from a sf book (The Flying Saucer Gambit) - Glaark (actually it was Gla'ark but the name thing didn't like the apostrophe).
    Some were named by acquaintances: Thaddeus, Hawkwynk, Craun.
    I named a bard Euphonius but then I decided all names HAVE to be short (or tells get tough).
    Then I named a few based on characteristics of the class: Poise (a monk), Take (a rouge).
    But it occurred to me that most folks don't even know what their names mean. So now I pretty much pick homophones of the race - Oomat (a gnome), Vrek (a dark elf), Sheryl (a barbarian), Ugluk (an ogre).
    My pet peeve are wood elves names that have i's and l's in them and you can't tell the two apart. And the have LOTS of em in there.
  10. ARCHIVED-Emeraldseye Guest

I used to play on WWIV boards, long before the 'internet' was a gleam in Al Gore's eye ((dies laughing)), there a game came to be called MajorMUD, and in it I played a character named Crystal Shard, who's gang (umm kinda like a guild) name was Streams of Silver.

When I first came to EverQuest, I was granted the name of Crystalshard, an enchanter, however, I did not know at the time that I deleted her that I wouldnt' get her name back, and she died trying to find her guild master to turn in her robe. I did not know that I could recover her body, but having drowned, and not knowing how to swim that proved perilous at best.

Not being allowed to take the name again, I wanted to marry my favorite gem (the emerald) with part of my original name, Crystalshard....I tried Emeraldscry and the name filter would not let me have it. I tried all sorts of combinations to my dismay the only one that seemed to work was Emeraldseye, so that is how my name came to be, the boring boring way.

Reason I tell everyone else, (it never fails, "Do you really have green eyes?" NO! I don't.) I'm 3/4 Irish, and Ireland is known as the Emerald Isle, so it's really a play on words, Emeraldseye....

I used to play another game called Trade Wars (man I miss that game) and I was known as Pepper the Adventurer, that's kinda cute how I got that name. I was drinking a Dr. Pepper and I was playing on an AST Avantage! Adventure PC at the time, tells you how long ago it was...Win 3.1 ((laughs)) Pepper the Adventurer, it only seemed apt :>.

I've been online a long time, startd out with a Tandy TRS80 and a 300 baud modem, calling my friends BBS'es on the weekend, man sometimes I miss those times, but I love my cable, I couldnt' ever go back to dial up, and to fall all the way down to 300 baud? Ohmigosh, kill me now!
  11. ARCHIVED-Emeraldseye Guest

I used to play on WWIV boards, long before the 'internet' was a gleam in Al Gore's eye ((dies laughing)), there a game came to be called MajorMUD, and in it I played a character named Crystal Shard, who's gang (umm kinda like a guild) name was Streams of Silver.

When I first came to EverQuest, I was granted the name of Crystalshard, an enchanter, however, I did not know at the time that I deleted her that I wouldnt' get her name back, and she died trying to find her guild master to turn in her robe. I did not know that I could recover her body, but having drowned, and not knowing how to swim that proved perilous at best.

Not being allowed to take the name again, I wanted to marry my favorite gem (the emerald) with part of my original name, Crystalshard....I tried Emeraldscry and the name filter would not let me have it. I tried all sorts of combinations to my dismay the only one that seemed to work was Emeraldseye, so that is how my name came to be, the boring boring way.

Reason I tell everyone else, (it never fails, "Do you really have green eyes?" NO! I don't.) I'm 3/4 Irish, and Ireland is known as the Emerald Isle, so it's really a play on words, Emeraldseye....

I used to play another game called Trade Wars (man I miss that game) and I was known as Pepper the Adventurer, that's kinda cute how I got that name. I was drinking a Dr. Pepper and I was playing on an AST Avantage! Adventure PC at the time, tells you how long ago it was...Win 3.1 ((laughs)) Pepper the Adventurer, it only seemed apt :>.

I've been online a long time, startd out with a Tandy TRS80 and a 300 baud modem, calling my friends BBS'es on the weekend, man sometimes I miss those times, but I love my cable, I couldnt' ever go back to dial up, and to fall all the way down to 300 baud? Ohmigosh, kill me now!
  12. ARCHIVED-Desai Guest

My name, Desai, is acutally derived from an old spelling of my current last name....it was originally de'sai, but the name fillger wouldnt' take the '.
    My surname is Madidad because about the time I hit level 20 I had a daughter, her name is Madelynne and you guessed it, I'm her dad...Madidad.
  13. ARCHIVED-Gryllmyre Guest

Barelern Hannigan (first name was random, surname sounds like a human warrior, doesn't it?)
    Kwerk Thistleweed (Halfing druid. Hmm, ya think?)
    Dippy Doodle. Guess that one... wait for it... wait for it... gnome enchanter. Gnomes are silly. Enchanters are useful.
    Rholin Bloodclaw. Vah Shir beastlord.
    I didn't really add any significance to their names. I just gave them names that sound like what the character is, and let the way the character feels as it is played and as it experiences things add accent to what the name means. A name isn't just something to live up to, it's what others refer to you by, and something you call yourself as you remember what you've been through.
  14. ARCHIVED-krilia Guest

Heartsong Steelsoul - originally named after a character I played on a MUSH. Perhaps I wouldn't have used a compound word first name if I'd played at the point I first made her (she's the barbarian), but I've explained it in roleplay that her parents thought they were incapable of having kids and then she showed up. Steelsoul is just a commentary on her being a very dedicated and just warrior.

Yarrow. Yarrow is my high elf cleric and is an herb that was once believed to have healing properties.

Charris. I believe it has something to do with beauty, but I'm afraid I don't remember anymore.
  15. ARCHIVED-Braelinea Guest

The names I am most proud of are:

Traxxn Dsand - iksar shadowknight. "Tracks in the sand" He leaves tracks and Kunark has lots of sand. The GMs won't let the surname be D'Sand though 1000 others have even more blatant name violations. Mine is atleast creative. Can you do anything for me Brenlo? How many pies do you require for a bribe? And will Baker's Square be ok?

Kolilya Battledancer - elf bard. It sounds musical without being musical. Did that make sense? She's a model too! Ok, it ain't much, but are you on there? The surname is to reduce the amount of requests for SoW. Seems to work.

Testament - erudite necromancer. One of my favorite metal bands in the 80's & 90's. Really good in concert too. I even based his Inspection Bio on 2 of the the band's albums: "With my soul of black, the fear that Cazic Thule practices I will preach."

Tektonik - vah shir berserker. It just sounds like a `zerker name. **shrug**
  16. ARCHIVED-Helianthus Guest

Didn't we have this post already?
  17. ARCHIVED-Gryllmyre Guest

Were we supposed to read post to that one instead?
  18. ARCHIVED-clubs Guest

The first character I created I used the random name generator and found a name that I liked which was Nuvase a Female Wood Elf rogue. After that, all characters followed the same layout; consonant, vowel, consonant, vowel, consonant, vowel. Nothing really interesting there, but I try to make up names that flow well. Fugone, Nuvase, Zurace, Bamane, Tenera just to name a few of them.
  19. ARCHIVED-offta Guest

Tektonik - vah shir berserker. It just sounds like a `zerker name. **shrug**

Actually it doesn't. Harold Arnulfsen, Ingborg Torsen, Wulfhelm Tyrrson - THOSE sound like berserker names. (Hint: berserkers were vikings who "psyched" themselves up for battle. Thankfully, they stopped raiding Europe after they converted to Christianity. They were a royal pain.)
  20. ARCHIVED-MadameRocks Guest

Mirtoba Whyolinga (woodie ranger) -- I just started punching keys and making noises for Mirt here. Whyolinga is a bit of a play on the name of the state where I reside.

Orpiment (iskar necro) -- Orpiment is the name of one of the arsno-sulfides (chemical make up of arsenic and sulfur) and any good mineralogy text will tell you "Do not lick sample" (also have SK on Fvie named Realgar after the other arsno-sulfide)

Lepticis (woodie druid) -- The genus name of one of my favorite fossil animals, a voracious little insectivore type animal from 30 million years ago

Timungalyn (dwarf cleric) -- Sounded dwarfish to me after I threw some sounds together

Delvra (de chanter) -- actually got this one from a fantasy sim bulider game I have, and just thought it perfect for the character

Also have two little froggies named after extinct amphibians, Butteneria and Diplocaulus....only get one guess what I'm going through school for. :smileywink: