With Heavy Hearts, We Announce the Sunset of Free Realms

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Amnerys, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Amnerys Free Realms Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Usually I’m in here telling you about cool new developments in the Realms. Today is a much different day for me. I’m deeply saddened to announce that we will sunset Free Realms on March 31, 2014.

Free Realms has truly been a labor of love for SOE (even our own president’s kids are huge fans and active players of the game!). In a nutshell, the game has reached a stage in its life cycle where players are growing up and moving on to other games.

When we first released the game in 2009, it was one of the very first free-to-play MMO for kids and teens, and we couldn’t be prouder of everything we have accomplished together in the game. While today’s news might be a disappointment, we’re sincerely excited about what’s to come for the game before we say goodbye, including player celebration in-game events and more!

We will share details on the upcoming activities and sunset soon, but we wanted to give you plenty of notice so you can truly enjoy your remaining time left in the game. We thank you for all of the memories we have made together in the Realms!

Steve George
    Producer, Sony Online Entertainment
  2. Shaman Active Member

Wow Shock, Moude, and You have been awesome.
  3. Pez Well-Known Member

I'm so sad. Simply devastated. My life without Free Realms? Tears..... :(
  4. Jewel2 Well-Known Member

This is devastating. Everything I have created and put real money and work into is gone. :(
  5. MsGlaurung Active Member

what?! how am i supposed to spend my afternoons? i love this game too much to see it go!
    Gamer Moms of FreeRealms and Zoe like this.
  6. Diane_Raindrop New Member

I knew this was going to happen, but it is still a little sad. I loved talking to everyone on here
    Wrenegren, Truly and Zoe like this.
  7. AangDX Well-Known Member

Despite everything I ever said for the game, it was for it's own improvement. I am so sad to see it go, the people here, the communities, the link that joins us all will be gone :(
    Gamer Moms of FreeRealms and Zoe like this.
  8. Wuher_MosEisley Active Member

Mind Blown... I did not see this coming at all... I will add more to this post once this has sunk in.
  9. Nymo Active Member

I knew this was going to happen, but the fact that it's actually happening has hit me hard. Thanks to all the past & present Free Realms staff for the fun years!
    Truly and Zoe like this.
  10. Pez Well-Known Member

I'm sure this game could have been saved, but apparently instead, they've decided to end it. So sad. And this game not only holds so many memories for us, but memories of Edwin, the Master Artist of Free Realms.
  11. Layla_Littlenymph Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I thought it more likely to see an announcement for FR2, as opposed to an outright end.
    I simply have nothing to say to this atm. Perhaps later.
    Wrenegren and Dawn Springlight like this.
  12. Victoria Morigan Well-Known Member

How could you do this me!! To us!!! I'm devastated beyond words. The new generation is coming & this summer would of been a blast!!!

My lots and my rides!!!!!! OMG.
  13. What on earth… I have no words right now...
    Victoria Morigan likes this.
  14. Unknown New Member

They said the date was on March 31st... The day right after that is April fools.
    christina, Jaee and KrisFirebolt like this.
  15. Jewel2 Well-Known Member

Oh and you know what? It's BS about the players "growing up" and moving on. If they are moving on it's because the game was poorly managed. There was so much potential. I was afraid this would happen because I knew there was no way they were taking in as much money this year. You take away the sales and promos thinking it will get you more money but no doubt it got you less.

I still can't believe we are about to lose everything. I can't believe the amount of time and work... that are all going to be flushed down the toilet. I busted my buns for the toys and now they will be gone before I even get the chance to use in my lots.

Sorry SOE but this makes you look bad. Real bad. Never again will I trust investing in one of your games. You bail when things get tough instead of trying to make it work. Lesson learned.
  16. Pez Well-Known Member

Right here beside me sits 2 SC cards I received as gifts. What am I to do with them now? I was so excited about going on my big SC shopping spree. :(
  17. MsGlaurung Active Member

i feel like the librarian who was sentenced to be executed just because nobody reads books anymore.
    and yes i did just make a Twilight Zone reference
  18. If this is a joke it's far from funny…
  19. Zaeouosdflly New Member

I would sell them on Amazon/eBay if youre allowed to do that. People MIGHT pay just a few dollars than original costs.
  20. Zaeouosdflly New Member

Agreed to much to deny.
    Victoria Morigan likes this.