Build the Landmarks of Landmark Competition

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Dexella, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dexella Content & Social Media Manager

Help us create landmarks for Landmark! Ultimately, the hub area in each island will be more than just a portal spire and a forge. We'll be adding more amenities to make these areas useful, and we'd also like to add a wide variety of distinct landmarks...and we'd like YOU to help us design them!

Winning landmarks will be used in Landmark hubs during Beta and in our live game!

To enter this competition, use a single claim to create a visually impressive and striking landmark of any sort. Fantasy, historic, futuristic -- any style goes! It needs to be placeable on flat ground, and include a flat base layer 50 voxels deep to allow it to sink into slight slopes, like this:

[IMG]

The competition runs from now through May 7, 2014.

Submission Process:
    Submissions will be accepted starting Wednesday, April 30, 2014. You will create a template of your claim and submit it using the in-game submissions tool. Each individual is limited to three (3) entries.

Eligibility to Enter:
    You must be at least 18 years old and a Landmark player with a Station Account in good standing. SOE employees are not allowed to enter.
    Territory: Worldwide

Judging Process:
    From April 30 - May 7, players will be able to vote for their favorite competition entries in-game using the rating tool.

Once all submissions are complete on May 7, 2014 at 11:59PM PDT, all entries will be reviewed by a panel of SOE employees to select the winners. All winning entries will be eligible for use as landmarks at Landmark hub areas. Winners will also receive a code for a Lunar Anklet.

Pursuant to the EULA, SOE will have the right, but not the obligation, to use any of the entries (not just winners) as distinct landmarks in the hub area of an island.

Update from Thursday, April 16:

Hey folks,

Here are the answers to a number of questions found in this thread:

These Landmarks will be near the spire, not in place of the spire. The idea is to build up a hub area that will include a number of amenities, and also help to signal what island you've arrived on.

With the 50 voxel base (and yes, that's the required size for this competition)...
    • Yes, it can be hollow
    • Yes, it can have rooms/details inside of it
    • Yes, you need to include ramps/stairs up to the top of the platform if you intend people to be able to access it. If you don't want people to be able to stand by your giant statue, don't put ramps
    • No, it does not have to be square
    • No, it does not have to all be the same material
    • Yes, the base in included in the landmark when it's placed in the world
    Again, the specific idea for this contest is that the landmark be that -- a landmark (largely visible and iconic). Think the Eiffel Tower or the Great Pyramids or the Golden Gate Bridge.

You can submit your competition entry to Player Studio, but winning entries likely will not be approved for sale, because the point of the landmark is that it will be unique/identifiable, not something anyone could place on any claim in the world.

Contribution for co-op/group builds is determined by building contribution. You need to actually help contribute voxels to the building to be included. (Not a strong builder? Help with the base!)

Once the landmark is placed inside the game at the hub, it will be protected like the spire is. You will not be able to make any modifications to it. Creators and the public will all have the same access/experience dealing with the landmark once it's part of Landmark.

The phase one of the judging (player votes) is just to gauge community interest/sentiment. It will not determine the winner; that will be done after submissions end on May 7th by the team here at SOE. So if you submit and get 0 votes, or if you submit right before the deadline, that doesn't mean your build won't be looked at/judged/considered by the team. As we said, it may draw our attention to something we might not have considered before, but it won't cause us to not look at/consider votes that don't have a lot of player feedback. Think of it more as an interest barometer as opposed to actual judging. :)

Please be aware that this is not the only "Landmarks of Landmark" contest we'll do, nor will these rules/requirements be the same for every contest. This is just one of many we have planned.

~Dexella

Update from April 30, 2014:

Style/Material Guidelines:
    -- You may use any combination of voxels and normal props
    -- You may not use crafting stations or vaults
    -- No written text, please

Also, keep in mind that the prize will be awarded to the submitter of the template, though if multiple people contribute to the build, they will be given credit on the in-game plaque.
  2. Dexella Content & Social Media Manager

LANDMARKS of LANDMARK COMPETITION
    OFFICIAL RULES

NO FEE OR PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. THIS PROMOTION IS SUBJECT TO ALL APPLICABLE LAWS. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.

Promotion Description: The Sony Online Entertainment (“SOE”) Landmarks of Landmark Promotion ("Promotion") asks SOE Landmark players to create in-game landmarks for SOE’s game currently in development, Landmark. The Promotion begins at 4:00:01 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time on April 15, 2014 and ends as of 11:59 p.m. PDT on May 7, 2014 ("Promotion Period"). Promotion is sponsored by Sony Online Entertainment LLC, 8928 Terman Court, San Diego, CA 92121 ("Sponsor"). Winners will be notified on or about May 14, 2014.

Eligibility: Only one entrant may submit the Submission, but multiple contributors may create the Submission. In the event of a dispute as to authorship, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entrant. Sponsor’s decisions are final. Promotion is open to Landmark players with a Station Account in good standing, who are natural persons. Void wherever prohibited or restricted by law. Entrants must be eighteen (18) years of age or older at time of entry in order to participate. Employees, agents, and contractors of Sony Online Entertainment LLC are not eligible to participate in the Promotion.

Agreement to Rules: By participating in the Promotion, each entrant warrants that he/she fully and unconditionally agrees to and accepts these Official Rules, as well as the Landmark End User License Agreement, which is incorporated herein by reference, including but not limited to, the right (but not the obligation) for SOE to use your Submission as a distinct landmark of the hub area on an individual island of Landmark. Each entrant further warrants that he/she will accept the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.

How to Enter: To enter, entrant creates a template of his/her in-game Landmark build. Builds must be from a single claim, be visually impressive, and have the character of a striking landmark derived from a single claim. You must be able to place the template on flat ground and it must include a flat base layer fifty (50) voxels deep to allow it to sink into slight slopes. Using the in-game submission tool, once the template is created and selected, Entrant clicks “Competitions,” provides information about the template (name, description and any tags), chooses the Landmarks of Landmark competition, clicks “Enter,” and reads and agrees to these Promotion rules (the “Submission”).

Submission Requirements:
    • The Submission must be entrant’s build, original to you (and the contributors you invite to help build), and must follow the UGIC guidelines in the EULA, such as it must not contain obscene materials or materials that are the intellectual property of any person or entity other than Sponsor
    • Limited to three (3) Submissions per person
    Promotion and Judging Criteria:
    Phase 1: Voting – Using the in-game upvote tool, Landmark players may review and vote for Submissions for the period of one (1) week (April 30, 2014 – May 7, 2014).

Phase 2: Judging
    Judging Criteria ("Judging Criteria") is as follows:
    • Originality and creativity of build - 70%
    • Overall appeal for Landmark - 30%
    Depending on the number of Submissions, up to the top four hundred (400) Submissions based on Phase 1 voting will be judged based on the above criteria. Following the conclusion of the Promotion Period, the Submissions will be judged by the SOE Landmark team and up to two hundred (200) Submissions with the highest total points will be deemed the winners. In the case of a tie, priority will be given to points in artistic merit.

Prizes: Up to two hundred (200) winners of the Promotion will receive an in-game Lunar Anklet key code. Additionally, the Submissions of any of those chosen as winners will be used as a distinct landmark of the hub area on an individual island of Landmark with an in-game credit plaque at the base of the landmark naming all contributors by in-game character name who contributed at least five percent (5%) to the Submission. Approximate Retail Value: US$0. No other prizes will be awarded. No cash or other substitutions may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize (or component thereof) with another prize (or component thereof) of equal or greater value in the event that a prize is unavailable as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion.

General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Promotion is impaired in any way for any reason, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, suspend the Promotion to address the impairment and then, if practicable, resume the Promotion in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules, or terminate the Promotion without awarding any prizes if Sponsor determines in good faith that the Promotion cannot be continued due to circumstances that are out of its control. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be in violation of these Official Rules. The Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.

Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Promotion, each entrant agrees to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, its affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Promotion or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to of the following: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Promotion; (b) computer, software, or network errors; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Promotion or receipt of any prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to US$50.00, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. Each entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.

Disputes: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of California. All disputes, controversies or differences which may arise between the parties out of or in relation to or in connection with this Promotion shall be finally settled through arbitration administered by JAMS or the American Arbitration Association (AAA) in accordance with the AAA's Commercial Arbitration Rules. A judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator(s) may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. Any arbitration administered hereunder shall be conducted in English and take place in San Diego, California, USA.

Promotion Results: The winner will be announced by in-game character name on the Landmark forums and in a news article on the Landmark website.
  3. erika Trailblazer

Sounds exciting. Thank you, Dexella.
    I hope the in-game submission tool will be easy to use. :)
    Cinnabun likes this.
  4. twistedsoul Trailblazer

Sound good, now to decide which landmark to make so many ideas.
  5. Kodi Trailblazer

6. Dexella Content & Social Media Manager

Note -- it does say you can submit up to three entries. So you don't have to narrow down your list of ideas to just one! ;)
  7. NoodleCat Trailblazer

Biggest question me and a few others had was if we submit something and win can we sell parts of it on player studio or does it become completely exclusive to SOE and we can no longer use it for anything else? Also along the same line can we display it again on our own claims?
  8. Cosmopoly Founder

RE: The Base.

I am correct in assuming that we only need to make a box base 50 voxels high - and SOE will add the ramps?
  9. AbstractQuantum Trailblazer

[QUESTION] Is the base "usable space" so I create the 50 voxel base, but that is basically two stories of space I could use for rooms, etc... Will the template place like a prop (where it doesn't delete voxels) or will it place like a template and remove the voxels? If it doesn't delete then there could be earth inside so no rooms (and hence not usable space).

Like with the portal spires, we need to add ramps or stairs... yes?

Thanks in advance for clarifying
  10. Larr Trailblazer

yes! great to see rules now that mine is near completion.. 50 voxel base almost made me cry tho lol
  11. Cosmopoly Founder

Just to be clear....

I presume you are not looking for the player-made landmarks to replace the current portals - but they will be placed near by the portal - true?
  12. ~Kami~ Trailblazer

Thank you .... I will see what I can do to win : )
  13. Cricketz Trailblazer

This. Need answered before i submit anything.
  14. Andrii Trailblazer

I am so doing this. I am a terrible builder but I've got an idea that will not only be visually appealing but also useful to all newbies.
  15. Voidlust Trailblazer

Thanks Dexella,

One question I did not see mentioned in the rules.

By entering a template into the contest will that disqualify that template from then being submitted to Player Studio?
  16. urbansheople Trailblazer

I was building mine with an interior I didnt realize it was going to be the actual hub but rather I thought it would be set to the side none-the-less that means I can do a couple of others as just building an outer shell is actually easier. *scurries off to complete another idea*

This stuff is fun either way it gives me ideas of what I can make
  17. Andrii Trailblazer

It isn't going to replace the hub. It's going to be next to it.
  18. urbansheople Trailblazer

okay i was building a simple interior because of what it was it would complete the look i guess I can continue :)
  19. Voidlust Trailblazer

Re-posting since i missed the edit timer....

Thanks Dexella,

Some questions I did not see mentioned in the rules.

1.) By entering a template into the contest will that disqualify that template from then being submitted to Player Studio?

2.) There are serious issues with templates and props. a.) Props being pulled from the vault will not place / cannot hold all the props in a build. b.) Props being placed with a template are placed offset by about one voxel. Will these bugs be fixed before judging? Will this affect eligibility?

3.) Will people be able to teleport directly to builds to see them? How can people get a true sense of the quality of a build from a thumbnail in the interface? What measures are in place to keep people from just voting for themselves.

4.) Am I reading this correctly? We will be judging as people are still submitting? that just doesn't seem to make any sense. Can you please clarify.

I admit I am not too thrilled about all of this. It seems to be more of a popularity contest as opposed to judging entries based on quality of the submission. This type of contest would have been much better left until the end of beta when we have a more complete feature set and this process has been worked on via player studio but *shrug*
    OGRastamon, Merma, Fendar and 3 others like this.
  20. Amika Mamutoi Trailblazer

I'd like to know this too. But super excited about this. time to start working on my competition claim :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.