Goodbye Alpha! Hello Closed Beta!

Discussion in 'Update Notes and Developer Discussion' started by Smokejumper, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Smokejumper Developer

Hello, Landmarkians!

Our Alpha has been absolutely fantastic. We could not have asked for a better result with you, the players, finding a huge assortment of radical new ways to use our building tools and cooperating so incredibly to push the boundaries of our game. Thank you!

But now, Alpha is about to end and Closed Beta is about to start!

When does Closed Beta start? Wednesday, March 26th. Right around the corner!

To prepare for Closed Beta, the servers will be down so we can wipe data and set up the new islands. Those preparation days will be Monday and Tuesday, March 24th and 25th.

Therefore, the last day of Alpha is Sunday, March 23rd. So party this weekend like it's the end of the world! (Because it is! Very, very briefly. ;)

To get ready for the end of Alpha, we *highly recommend* that you template any items on your claims that you want to resurrect during Closed Beta. Consider templating things with props, without props, and possibly even re-textured as dirt or something simple so that you can rebuild it easily when you have few resources available. (NOTE: When the claims are wiped at the end of Alpha, we will be templating each of your claims for you, BUT many of your claims require vast amounts of resources before they can be placed so it still might be beneficial for you to go in and make individual templates to make it easier to restore pieces of your claim as you gain resources.)

What will the data wipe entail? EVERYTHING will be wiped...except your character name, your templates and any items you purchased (Founder's Pack items or marketplace purchases). Yes, that means everything else. When Closed Beta begins, you will need to choose a new appearance, gather new resources, craft new tools and make new claims from scratch again. Everyone starts at the same place.

Upward and onward! And please be sure to welcome all our new Closed Beta friends when they arrive!
  2. Maeka Trailblazer

Sounds good!
    Otheva likes this.
  3. Waypoc Founder

4. Atradea Trailblazer

I Am SO Exited!!!!!! I am ready to go
  5. Kuulei Trailblazer

My how time flies!

A busy weekend ahead of us all!
  6. Tazha Trailblazer

Hooray!
  7. blackcap76 Trailblazer

Anyway to change your name and not lose all your stuff?
  8. RadioActiveLobster Trailblazer

Normally doesn't the move from Alpha to Beta mean that the game is pretty feature locked and it's mostly bug fixing and polishing?

Water isn't in, Caves arn't in, all resources on one island (in tiers) isn't in, weapons arn't in, so on and so forth.

How can we be in the "Beta" phase if half the game is still missing?
    Lanomen, Purple Green, Shao and 18 others like this.
  9. Marean Lumia Founder

can we please have prime grapples extended to closed beta as i just won my one today :(
  10. LandWright Trailblazer

Excellent Advice David on changing the templates to simpler resources.
  11. Lady Astrum Trailblazer

Wow time has flown. I wonder if we'll have more character creator options in closed beta? New hair styles and faces etc.

Oh also something else I am wondering...will we have spaces between names? So that I can have a first name and last name....or only one word names?
    Shao likes this.
  12. Romp Trailblazer

Thanks for the info.. template time. =)
  13. Jonquin Founder

Thanks for giving us time to prep and Woot!!
  14. Fravardin Founder

15. iBuilder of EQNL Trailblazer

Terry, a question if I may.

As there are voxel limts to our templates, what if we are close to or at the limit of our voxel limit in templates, will our claims still be templated and saved? Or will we need make room for them? I ask because my 3 claims currently have TONES of voxels.. and I mean TONES. perhaps more than the limit (as I don't yet know the limit)
    Miau likes this.
  16. Cirric Trailblazer

[Question] Can we get an update on the roadmap? If you have new dates in mind.
  17. Obivi Founder

18. Shadowspawn2112 Trailblazer

OK it has to be asked .... with closed beta will resources be 'harder' to get? While it is great fun being able to find rubies on the surface the truth of things is that they should not be available on the surface and we should have to find them deeper in the island ... this means caves?
    DanteYoda likes this.
  19. Cirric Trailblazer

FYI SmokeJumper is Dave Georgeson.
    Miau likes this.
  20. BuilderX Trailblazer

In closed Beta systems are still added and evaluated, when we get to open beta then yes mostly full, just tweaks and bugs....
    Darvaleo, casa2272, Shao and 2 others like this.