[Video] Offset Quarter Voxel - New (easier) method of creation

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Guides' started by schroedingercat, May 19, 2014.

1. schroedingercat Founder

This is Mythesque's method for creating an Offset Quarter Voxel, it is slightly easier and even has color coordination! :)

More complex applications to come in future tutorials!

2. dabudo Trailblazer

If I might repeat a couple of steps that you did because it was a little hard for me to see what happened, just to make sure I understood.
    When you make the 1x2x2 cube, half is still below the floor, correct? And then you raised the cube so it was on the floor when you smoothed it?
    And when you pasted the "lumpy thing" (technical term I'm assuming lol) in the air, you actually pasted it twice? That is, you pasted it and then copied, lowered it a voxel and pasted again?
    Out of curiousity, after smoothing the 1x2x2 cube until all but one corner disappears, why ctrl z to undo?

edit: Thanks for this btw! Always appreciate your tutorials.
    schroedingercat likes this.
  3. schroedingercat Founder

Yes i realized after the fact that using black and white grids makes it very difficult to see! whoops!!

1. create 2X2X1 voxel cube directly on the floor. this constrains the bottom half of the voxels and restricts how much smooth tool effects the entire voxel.

2. raise selection box to the voxel space directly above the cube and smooth till all but one voxel disappears, then reverse this step with control z. you need 4 voxels in order to stamp the final product into squared off shape, otherwise you cannot force it into an offset position, you just have a microvoxel.

3. take the smoothed, 4 voxel lump on the floor, and paste it one voxel space below itself, causing the top to extrude into a square.

4. paint the square up top into a checkerboard pattern so you can match it onto the cube you are going to compress. the colors of your square must match the cube when you paste them.

5. create a 2X2X2 cube in the air. paint it a similar checkerboard pattern.

6. making sure you have the closest, offset side of the square facing the cube, paste it onto the face of the cube, being careful to match the color pattern. you will need to mirror it (v) and rotate it to ensure that this happens.

7. Copy out the center where the cube used to be. it will now be a quarter of its original size and offset into the corner.

you undo the final step of smoothing because it deletes 3 voxels. without 4 voxels you can't manipulate the 4 voxels of the cube you manipulate at the end. if i pasted just 1 voxel onto the face of the final cube, it wouldnt constrain it.
    houseofcantor likes this.
  4. Fyrel Founder

Cheer for the tutorial :)

I got the voxel piece off Mythesque last week but always nice to see how its made.

Has allowed me to create a load of shapes I didn't think where possible.
  5. schroedingercat Founder

Awesome :D you're welcome Fyrel!
  6. dabudo Trailblazer

Thanks for the clarification - am looking forward to playing with this!
  7. Karrane Trailblazer

Thanks !

I cant wait to get back in game to try making this.
  8. Blargh New Member

Awesome! A mid-face, mid-volume and mid-side vertex in one little package with almost no effort!

Now if you were kind enough to show how to rebuild the 3 zero volume voxels using this :) :) :)
  9. MasterMagnus Trailblazer

Thanks as always. Other videos you've done had white and sandy color, that was good to see the cubes but not so contrasting it throws the eye off.
  10. schroedingercat Founder

the core and side zvv's?
  11. Fredelas Well-Known Member

I did this once by accident, but didn't pay close enough attention. Thank you for showing me how to do this again. :)

Out of curiosity, why do we call these quarters, when they're an eighth of a voxel?
  12. Omer Founder

Because the length of the sides of this voxel are 1/4th the length of a normal voxel.
  13. Fredelas Well-Known Member

Actually the sides are half the length of a normal voxel, aren't they? And the volume is one eighth?
  14. Blargh New Member

I'm not 100% on which zv is which, but

[IMG]

in the reactors above, the first voxel would be the core zv, the second one is the flat panel mid-edge zv and the third one is the "zero volume string" mid-face zv.

If you paste a "quarter-but-actually-1/8" voxel into a reactor like so:

[IMG]

one of the corners (marked) will remain as a plain cube voxel. (hard to tell in that light but its painted golden). the opposite corner voxel (painted stone) makes the core zv. any immediate neighbour of the true cube (one painted cobalt ore) can be used for the flat panel zv, and any immediate neighbour of the stone painted voxel (one painted rubicite ore) can be used for the string zv. Note that the actual location of these will depend on the exact orientation of the quarter voxel.

I hope that all made sense -- the reason I mentioned these is that the old techniques of creating them posted on the forums mostly don't work any more and it would be nice if you could do a video using the quarter voxel /hint /hint :)
    houseofcantor likes this.
  15. Fredelas Well-Known Member

I've just been experimenting with this, and I've found if I build the first 2x2x1 set of voxels up off the ground and smooth the four air voxels BELOW them, I get more consistent results without having to undo when some are deleted. At that point, I can flip those voxels vertically and finish the process exactly as describe here, or just do it upside down.

It seems that by smoothing below the voxels, their vertices move more predictably toward the center, but none of them are actually ever deleted. I'm not sure if they're exactly AT the center though, I'll have to do some more inspection.

The smooth tool has also imparted a normal to the vertices, which you can see from the smooth shading across the edges. (The edges really are straight, and putting them next to another flat voxel removes the normals, so it's not really a concern. It's just kind of a cool side effect.)

To illustrate, the blue and yellow voxels on the right I smoothed the air above until just before they disappeared. You can probably see they still rise slightly in the center. The black and white voxels on the left I smoothed the air below as many times as I wanted. They never disappear. (I flipped them vertically to compare.) Their surface looks much flatter to me.

[IMG]
    houseofcantor and Darvaleo like this.
  16. schroedingercat Founder

OOh fred you have given me a new toy to play around with! What direction where you facing when you smoothed, btw?
  17. Fredelas Well-Known Member

After some experimenting, we discovered that the smooth tool works differently on "odd" and "even" voxels, since it requires at least two voxels in every direction to smooth from. If you get poor results smoothing the layer of air under voxels, try moving your original voxels up one first. You will get completely different results.

The same is true of other situations using the smooth tool, too. Moving your selection one voxel to the west or east, or north or south can produce surprisingly different results.
  18. Ysovuka Trailblazer

I just want to point out that it's possible to get a centered offset voxel directly in the middle which is offset from the sides the exact length.

Screenshot:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

What you would do with it, I have no clue but, it looks cool.

If you're wanting to know how to do this, it's actually quite complicated. It requires a several techniques combined along with using the line tool to shave it down to size.
  19. schroedingercat Founder

that is very cool! I could definitely see a use for it, and i totally want to make it! interested in making a tutorial? :D
    Karrane likes this.
  20. Wenissa Trailblazer

@senkai

can you shave that down further so that it is a 1 pixel thick cube at the very edge of the standard voxel?[IMG]

Because if you can then I have a possible use for it to prevent texture bleeding. It would simplify things having that rather than the convoluted work around that gives:
    [IMG]