April - Overall Balance

Discussion in 'Archived Features' started by PS2_Luke, Mar 7, 2014.

1. PS2_Luke Developer

Here are the balance changes we have planned for March. These changes were based on feedback and our own internal metrics.

AV MANA Turret
    • This weapon is going to receive a range reduction. It will also receive size and collision adjustments so that the operator can be shot easier
    • The above changes do not solve the visibility problems that this weapon often has, so we’re going to make this weapon auto-spot itself on fire. This weapon will remain strong in a certain range, we just expect smart placement to become much more important.
    AI MANA Turret
    • We are doing a consistency pass of the shields on these turrets. The goal is to have the amount that the Engineer’s head is vulnerable be the same across all factions.
    Lightning weapons
    • We’re looking at all the main cannons and will be doing some adjustments to even out performance.
    • More specifically, expect the C75 Viper to not be as all-around dominate as it is now.
    Harasser
    • We’re going to be adding back some survivability to this vehicle. This will be a mix of resistance changes and maneuverability adjustments
    Tank Abilities
    • These will be getting small adjustments to even out performance across the different factions
    Fall state
    • We’re removing all jump penalties (both the post-jump speed penalties and removing the player from iron sights) when players enter the fall state unintentionally without jumping. This will prevent annoying situations like losing accuracy because you hit a small ledge in the terrain.
    Heavy Assault Shield
    • We’re adding a ramp up time to the activation of all Heavy Assault shield abilities. The goal is to change the shield away from an instant-win button and more towards something that requires positioning and proper timing, which is our goal with all class abilities.
    MAX ability adjustments
    • NC: We’re adding the ability to sprint while the shield is active. Coverage will be less while sprinting.
    • TR: We’re speeding up the Lockdown entry and exit so that it can better react to changing situations.
    • VS: General balance adjustments so that the reward more closely matches the risk
    • Up x 90
  2. Blarg20011

I like, except for the MANA Turret auto-spot, that's ridiculous, hasn't SOE learned that 3 nerfs in one patch is a bad idea?
    • Up x 53
  3. wave

Heavy assault shield changes....

DAAAAYYYYAMMMM. That sucks.
    • Up x 37
  4. LibertyRevolution

Heavy Assault Shield
    • We’re adding a ramp up time to the activation of all Heavy Assault shield abilities. The goal is to change the shield away from an instant-win button and more towards something that requires positioning and proper timing, which is our goal with all class abilities.
    About time!!!
    It only took you 15months of live to figure this out.. took me less than 5mins..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AV MANA Turret
    If you are going to nerf its range, make it easier to kill the user, and auto spot, I assume you are going to increase its damage or ROF right?
    Or is this just going to be another nerf it into uselessness and fix it a few months later like you did to the harasser?
    • Up x 15
  5. Decian

Yeah because between server lag and client side hit detection TTKs arent already faster than human reaction. Lets just make every gun in the game OHK everything.
    • Up x 8
  6. Gav7x

AV MANA Turret
    • This weapon is going to receive a range reduction. It will also receive size and collision adjustments so that the operator can be shot easier
    • The above changes do not solve the visibility problems that this weapon often has, so we’re going to make this weapon auto-spot itself on fire. This weapon will remain strong in a certain range, we just expect smart placement to become much more important.

The whines paid off tankers

Lightning weapons
    • We’re looking at all the main cannons and will be doing some adjustments to even out performance.
    • More specifically, expect the C75 Viper to not be as all-around dominate as it is now.
    Harasser
    • We’re going to be adding back some survivability to this vehicle. This will be a mix of resistance changes and maneuverability adjustments
    Fall state
    • We’re removing all jump penalties (both the post-jump speed penalties and removing the player from iron sights) when players enter the fall state unintentionally without jumping. This will prevent annoying situations like losing accuracy because you hit a small ledge in the terrain.

About time
    • Up x 6
  7. Ryko Nailo

"Here are the balance changes we have planned for March."
    "April - Overall Balance"
    Is this for April or March as you say both...

First: Good over all, in theory anyway, specifics will determine it's real value.

Second: I hope this gets expanded alot more, while balancing things like Tank abilities is nice its only a small part of actual tank balance. Ditto for pretty much everything.

As for personal tastes...

I was sorta hoping that instead of TR Max getting faster deploy / undeploy that they'd become much tougher from the front such as a bonus to explosive resist / engy shield covering front. That way deploying would be powerful but require wise placement as you are still vulnerable, just quickening the deploy / undeploy is just such a simple bland fix and if its TOO much will result in sillyness like deploying in all situations. NC max changes seem... pointless honestly, my biggest issue with this simply is that thanks to the animations of various things and the shape of the shield itself I find it far to easy to bypass the shield even from the front, if it had much better coverage that's all I'd need. ZOE? Good luck... Still say scrap it and give us jump jets.

For Tanks I hope TR lockdown effects the gunner but other then that its fine, for NC I'd like to see shield turned into a 10 second or so resist shield not invulnerability, and for VS I would love to see an omni burner (yes I know not everyone does).

For HA shield I hope this means they all get atleast a second or so of added 'life time' to compensate but otherwise I am fine with this change.

AV Turret: Thank god, its not a perfect fix but its something but I fear it might be a tad too much but frankly this game has enough AV as is so I doubt even nerfed it'd change meta too much...
    • Up x 2
  8. Rothnang

The problem I have with the AV-Mana change is that that turret is actually incredibly weak if you're deploying it within view distance of any viable targets. Since it can't move it's easy pickings for a decent gunner. An HA can pop in and out of cover to engage a vehicle, but an AV mana turret is completely dependent on remaining undiscovered. Of course using the render distance to do so is broken, but auto spotting removes any chance to remain hidden legitimately.

This is clearly a case of overnerfing. Not having a weapon break render range makes perfect sense, but the reality is, without the ability to attack from outside of a vehicles view range the AV Mana is largely ineffective. There is simply nothing you can do while manning an AV mana that allows you to effectively combat a vehicle that can shoot back at you. Stealth is the only defense for this turret, so balancing the AV mana should be done by making the stealth component of it a meaningful contest between engineer and vehicle, not by simply removing it.
    • Up x 18
  9. LibertyRevolution

You mad they are going to nerf your iwinshield?
    • Up x 5
  10. Revanmug

Not too bad, mostly going in the good direction. The question is how exactly you are going to pull these off and that's usually where you fail horribly. I expect mind boggling change.
    • Up x 1
  11. Decian

No, I barely play Heavy. But, tired of game getting dumbed down more and more every "balance." "I win shield" you must be oen of those whiney ******* who constantly cries because you try to 1v1 a vanguard...
    • Up x 29
  12. ScrapyardBob

Yeah, making the turret auto-spot is one nerf too much. As long as the turret renders at all ranges that it can hit along with the engineer manning it, that's enough of a change. The main complaint with the engy AV turret has always been that it can hit you and you can't see it. Fix that and most complaints will go away.

Adding auto-spot just makes the life of an engy manning the AV turret too short, they'll be 100% sniper bait after the first shot instead of getting off 3-4 shots before someone spots them.
    • Up x 33
  13. LibertyRevolution

Sorry you don't like the term iwinshield as used towards HA shield?
    I should have used the term the Dev just used in the OP, "instant-win button"...
    • Up x 4
  14. Prudentia

sounds all good, tough the MAX abilities could be a bit delicate.
    i really like that the AV MANA turret moves abit away from the primary anti vehicle weapon at all ranges and gives Heavies again the task to take out vehicles.
  15. Equal2

Great to see heavy nerf, they are way to strong right now :)

Even if you get a drop on a heavy he can just press F turn and kill you.

And i say this as a heavy player that abuses the **** out of this on live right now.
    • Up x 6
  16. Mend

"The goal is to change the shield away from an instant-win button"

And it's about damn time. The heavy shouldn't counter EVERY other class with the exception of Bolt-Action using Snipers. I'm sick of coming up behind a heavy and shooting before I realize his shield is going to grant him 8x additional shield+life
    • Up x 9
  17. ScrapyardBob

The proper solution for the empire-specific MAX abilities is to design a second ability for each race that complements the existing special. One ability should be aimed towards offense (more damage or RoF) the other ability should be aimed towards defense (take less damage for a limited amount of time).

TR lockdown is fine as-is, the shorter lock/unlock cycle is a nice buff. But TR need some sort of defensive ability, maybe a reactive heal that runs for 10-15 seconds on activation that will let them push into a point better.

NC shield is pretty good on the defense side, but NC MAX have nothing that helps them on the offense side to put out more damage.

VS ZOE was just too strong, combining offensive firepower with maneuverability (which ends up being a defense bonus). It might be easiest to just split the ZOE ability into two parts. One that raises damage, the other that functions as a defensive shield. Let the players choose whether they want.
    • Up x 2
  18. Pikachu

AV MANA turret
    Changes are good.

AI MANA turret
    Never cared about.

Lightning weapons
    Viper is fun I see no need for nerf. I wonder what other changes there will be since I don't see much need for them, besides making HE cannon useful.

Harasser
    Good to see some durability back. Turbo should be buffed. It should work just like it does on flash.

Tank abilities
    Never cared much besides magburner being boring and underpowerd. More duration, faster recharge, better speed.

Heavy assault shield
    This is great. No more get-out-of-jail-free-card.

MAX ability adjstuments
    Never cared much for the shield, unless you make it reflect bullets. Speeding up cooldown might make it less useless. Donno how to make ZOE balanced.
    • Up x 5
  19. Xebov

It looks nice so far.

I hope you will look into MBT Mainguns as well and into AA weapons, i think the Walker could use a CoF decrease and the Skyguard some projectile speed.

I would also like to see a balance pass on the Jackhammer as its widely used and can instagib anything in a ~20m range, maybe you could widen the CoF or change the Burst to 2 instead of 3. And if you are at weapons, how about finaly making Battle Rifles on par with other weapons? Im using my Pulsar C wich has the same range and accuracy like my Eidolon but kills stuff in 2/3 of the time needed with an Eidolon.
    • Up x 2
  20. Frostbitten

Tank abilities?

Change how the Vanguard iWin shield works. For example, make it that you can't fire with shield turned on. That would serve it's purpose - low on health, go hide somewhere in that 8 seconds and fix it.

But no, current state is like cheat - you put serious effort in outplaying it and then he turns on shield - and you know the drill. That's the load of crap honestly.
    • Up x 18