Galaxy 101 (A Galaxy Guide)

Discussion in 'Vehicle Discussion' started by P4nda, Dec 8, 2012.

1. I have up/down bound to F/G. In the vast majority of situations I will still use the mouse, but if I am attempting a loop, sharp turn, or warpgate unflip where I require maximum turn rate or constant turning for an extended period of time I will use the key as I find it easier than running out of desk and having to pick the mouse up.

If you ram a Lib head-on nose-to-nose you will both die 99% of the time. It's best to use the wings, which seem to take (though also deal) considerably less damage. Even if you only slightly clip it, you'll send it into a ridiculous spin which will disable it for a while.

I definitely appreciate where you are coming from. Personally, my outfit prefers to use their own vehicles most of the time so I am generally just a bus for the leftovers whose mags, scythes or libs are on cooldown plus a few zerglings. I always fly sensibly when I have passengers - getting them to the destination is #1 priority - but once it's just me, I'm free to be a bit crazy.

Like I said in another thread, it's really difficult to get randoms into a galaxy unless you are parked up waiting when a base is captured. They will almost always be spawning at front line sunderers and other places where you can't reasonably land for pickup, and even if you do they will usually footzerg 50m to a bottleneck rather than load up and drop on the roof.
    Once a base fight starts I am essentially useless, so I either land and hope my gal isn't spotted or I try and keep the air focused on me while the team cleans up.
  2. Regarding the high-speed airframe, I did a little research on my own with an alt who happened to have 100 certs lying around.

High-speed frame 1 appears to increase your straight-line cruise speed to 137kph (tested by flying perfectly level off the warp gate), and nose-down speed over flat terrain to 165-170kph. I'm not sure how the latter compares to the high-G frame, but the base cruise speed increase doesn't seem too impressive (regular Gal cruise is like 128 iirc?)

I wonder if rank 2 and 3 are linear increases or if it boosts it by more than 8 or 9 kph per level? WTB more precise descriptions on upgrades in this game.
  3. Tiny necro bump. Been busy all weekend but finally have some time off.
  4. bump just because more gal pilots need to be better
    • Up x 2
  5. This ^ If you're a Vanu on Connery, and are looking to learn a bit, send me an in-game PM and ill gladly take you for a spin.
  6. Bump! It really is a great guide people.

Incidentally Panda, there was a debate in my outfit's forums last week about what's best for Gal Dropping, high or low altitudes. I know you favor low altitude, and I tend to do so myself, but are there really any merits for flying high, aside from being really blatant bait?
    • Up x 1
  7. With stealth on NOT indar I can generally hit 990 out of the warpgate going straight up *barf*, flyin to destination (often times to the corner of a map if i want to be an *******), and drop em off. The only issue here is that I dont trust high altitude drops entirely so i'll generally 'vomit comet' as some one said. I fly straight down and then nose up, V. thrust, brakes and drop them off on a roof. That's generally when i get spotted if I do.
    • Up x 1
  8. I've found High Altitude flight useful when trying to take areas with heavy AA. By flying high up you're pretty much out of AA range, it it allows you to disgorge troops from a safe distance.
  9. High altitude tends to make it harder for flak but easier for attentive fighters. It also takes forever to get up there, even with level 3 G frame.
    Also, there's a higher likelyhood your troops will scatter by the time they hit the deck. good or bad, your call.
    All the better gal pilots I know really prefer low altitude, myself included, since it helps against fighters AND anti-air (AAA has less time to acquire you, less time to fire, and more terrain interference), and has a much higher skill cap.

I've only been downed by AA twice when I was on point with my flying, both times by co-ordinated anti-air of more than 12 max units. Both times my crew and load dropped safely anyways before I was brought down.

Also, Wolf Air is throwing a party. My LightWhale has ascended to its final form; stealth, fire suppression, level 3 frame, top walker/rear drake combo with optics and upgrades, IRNV bulldogs, etc.
    I'm looking at the TR camo/decals to celebrate, any suggestions?
    • Up x 1
  10. Essentially this. Higher altitude eliminates your escape routes - best bet is to dive in the complete open for 10 seconds, which makes it so effortless to shoot down a Gal I cringe when I see pilots cruising up there. It also takes away the static structures that are present on the ground, which means once you're being tailed by an ESF you're basically royally screwed since you have nothing to use to break LOS.

Positives of high altitude flying;
    1. Zero flak.
    2. I believe render distance does not draw you if you're at ceiling (besides the Crown and a few unnamed bases up on ridges), therefore assuming you're unseen by enemy air you can drop your squad on an unsuspecting enemy. Big bonus.
    3. Extremely safe in terms of flying and maneuvering (No trees, buildings, rock faces etc). Inexperienced gal pilots will tend to stick to this method of transportation.

Positives of low altitude flying;
    1. Breaks LOS easily and often from lockons. Though you are a favorite target for flak while flying -200m, the natural geography of the continent will give you seconds between incoming rounds. If flown properly you shouldn't even be noticed till you're already bugging out.
    2. Close to friendly support - Lightnings(AA), Burster Max's(AA), ESF's etc.
    3. Generally can fly under enemy ESF's without notice, especially during a dogfight.
    4. Down time is much lower due to the decreased repair time and takeoff.
    5. Definitely a quicker and more direct way of flying (No climbing/diving).

To sum it all up - its all about risk versus reward. Low altitude flying is (potentially) more dangerous than high altitude flying, although it offers a quicker way to the target, multiple options once engaged by enemy air, buildings to break LOS and locks, less down time repairing and finally, its much more fun to fly under or just above the treeline than in an empty (albeit beautiful) sky.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Also, welcome to the club of the select few... no one seems to understand just how important a fully certed out gal is, if used correctly.

Good luck up in the air, happy hunting.

- P4nda.
    • Up x 1
  11. Friendly holiday bump. Happy New Years SOE & community!
  12. THANK YOU for sharing this! Great information, and the video was awesome.

I do have one question about orbiting the area in an overwatch (AC-130) mode during the fight. Since you need to keep your turrets manned, doesn't it hurt the effectiveness of your ground squad if you're only deploying 7 instead of 11?

Thanks again!
  13. Good Guide. I used to be a Galaxy pilot in Planetside 1, but this iteration is a far cry from that. That said I still enjoy flying them. What I don't like is the annoying no skill A2A missile ESF's. I just started flying in and out of low cover and base legs and those missiles still locked on and found me (somehow). How do you counter those missiles without flares, because at the moment its ridiculous.
  14. If you're not an ESF you pray or dont.

I had one pass my wing and then 180 and hit me in the *** in my lib today.
  15. That's what I thought. About to get the third grade of precise airdrops frame, hoping this will give me a lot more maneuverability around the ravines and such. I'm guessing the stealth will be the only other thing to help me avoid lock on missiles. Just like to thank Mr Panda for giving me some more insight to improving my Galaxy flying style.

Just need to find a decent galaxy crew now :)
  16. I honestly wouldnt worry about the A2A lock ons too much. Only diff im doin with my galaxy is taking flares over fire supression simply because i LOVE annoying enemy ESF's.

Once its fully certed its gonna take a while to lock me down, then when they do, FLARE hahahaha.

But really, don't worry about the A2A much, its gonna take A LOT more than a few missles to take you out, and if you fly aggressive enough they won't want to try and lock you anyway, too much of a waste.

If you don't spend a lot of time on fire or have a team of engys rolling with you, i suggest the flares for the sheer annoyance for ESF's trying to take you out.
  17. Appreciate it! To answer your question though... there is no direct answer to dealing with missile locks, besides to keep weaving. Once you see a Lock, pull evasive maneuvers immediately and try to put as many things between you and the ESF as possible.

This guide is a small gift from myself to the community as a whole. It honestly makes me very happy to hear people are thankful and are actually utilizing some of these techniques described. And you will definitely fall in love with Precise Airdrops 3.

Personally I disagree somewhat with that statement. A Galaxy approaching a combat zone is arguably the most sought after kill in the game. Like mentioned in other Galaxy threads, we are way too susceptible and it takes an extremely high certed Gal, with a proficient crew to make the Galaxy anything north of effective.

In other words you will always be a Lib's primary, the majority of ESF's primary and so on and so forth.
  18. Im not a perfect pilot, not by any means, i doubt im on your level either panda :D could be a difference in combat situations, but i do see your point.

Following that point, would you use flares for any situations or are you finding fire supression essential to hot drops? Has it saved you enough to warrent scrapping flares for even the extra avoidance of a lock on for 5 seconds?
  19. Also: a Galaxy's real strength is its ability to deliver significant force somewhere unexpected. Being able to put 6-10 coordinated infantry somewhere the enemy is neither expecting nor wanting can make a massive difference to a fight.

If you are a giant space-whale-shaped red blip on their radar, there is nothing unexpected about what you are doing. 6-10 infantry somewhere the enemy are expecting is nowhere near as effective.

Ideal situation is the enemy are only aware of you as you are leaving, having delivered your cargo and put some holes in things with your guns. That last bit might be why they noticed you. :)

@P4nda: this guide is awesome. I have taken my steps on the path of the Galaxy because of it.
    • Up x 1
  20. bump- havent seen this near the top in a while