May - [Tentative] Continent Locking

Discussion in 'Roadmap' started by JGood, Jan 23, 2013.

1. JGood Developer

Continent Locking (or the "Continental Lattice" in the post-lattice era) is on the horizon and will hopefully enhance the feel and depth of PlanetSide 2's overall metagame significantly. Here's what the basic plan looks like so far:
    • Each of our current continents (Indar, Esamir, Amerish) becomes a home continent for an Empire
    • Each empire has a single “Home Warpgate” on their home continent that can never be taken from them
    • All other warpgates can now change hands like regular territory (details here still being worked out, so let us know if you have ideas)
    • By taking control of a warpgate, your empire can now advance along any continental lattice connected to it
    • Hossin is given three warpgates, one connected to Indar, one to Esamir, and one to Amerish. There is no home warpgate on Hossin.
    • Battle Islands fall between continents on all the links not leading to Hossin
    [IMG]

What do you guys think?
    • Up x 3,016
    • Down x 163
  • YES! This is so desperately needed in the quest for some longer lasting impact by players on the game world.
    • Up x 358
    • Down x 10
    • Totally agree, I can't stress how important this is for keeping my outfit interested long term in PS2. We have outfit members who have stopped playing until it's implemented "I got bored logging in each day and seeing the same map"
      • Up x 140
      • Down x 6
      • thats why i stopped playing. until players can affect lasting change in the environment this game is just another mmo grinder.
        • Up x 1
        • I don't support continent locking. Honestly, I don't want to log on and then realize that i'm limited to fighting on one continent
    • A few random ideas which might add persistence to the metagame:

• Allow outfits to upgrade fixed base defences
      • Ability to dynamically place tank barriers, walls, bunkers, AA emplacements or artillery installations
      • (kinda crazy) the ability to build dynamic tunnel systems by constructing adjecent tunnel pieces underground
      • A target in the "home warpgate" which can only be destroyed if the faction has been pushed all the way back
      • Different long term strategic goals for each faction
      • An enhanced mission system, with different strategic and tactical priorities set by commanders
      • Resource harvesting/storage for each faction
      • An outfit resource pool to allow for the creation of player made bases and defences
      • The ability for an outfit to own certain territory
      • Some sort of political system
      • Facility resource generation increases over time, up to a cap
      • Up x 313
      • Down x 20
      • NTUs!

PS1's NTU system made fights so much more personal. Gen holds to drain a key base to distract the enemy zerg, last second defense in the hopes that an ANT will rescue you, last second occupations in the hopes that you stop all the ANTs before they refuel the base, etc.

ANTs, as a mobile high value target, also meant there were goodfights between bases, not just right outside them.
        • Up x 115
        • Down x 2
        • Genholds actually slowed down the NTU drain on a base since, naturally, no power was being used with the generator down. The bases NTU priority made it so that once the gen goes down, all repair/power use stops except solely on the generators auto-repair. It was far more efficient to down all of the tubes, terminals, turrets, and take the generator down to criticle damage. Made bases guzzle NTU, especially after they added the NTU Drain Virus.

But, I agree that NTU is necessary. I'd love to see it added back into the game. It was always Epic being inside the ANT or Galaxy that dropped off the ANT in an attempt to refuel a Red Alert base.
          • Up x 40
          • Down x 1
        • Everything you said, 100% agree. Was always nice too when squads shared XP and your super-awesome-squad/plat had the ANT ready to go and everyone cashed in =P More personable, agreed. The last minute epic NTU saves were equivalent to the last minute EVERYONE pulling AMSes(when they used to cloak =P) =) God, I miss those days!

Plus, like they are trying to do now with auto-regening-armor, it was less micro-managed because bases could repair themselves, so you could go do the fun stuff and someone that wanted a break from killing could ANT their butts off and cash in well.
          • Up x 44
        • GOD I MISS ANTS

Why did PS1 devolve into this glop we have now?!?
          • Up x 21
          • Down x 12
          • i must say planetside 2 has kind of been a dissappointment so far compared to planetside 1. soe us veterans didn't want planetside 2 to compete with BF4! we wanted it to become greater than planetside 1. make it happen SOE.
            • Up x 3
        • I agree - ANTs did make for great battles between capture points and epic saves when need for power.

Taking that a step further, add semi-random valuable resources that could be harvested between capture points that in conjunction with the ANT powering the station would be needed to maintain certain futures of each defense i.e. walls, energy, turrets, shields, ammo, and weapons. The resources would be located away from main capture points. Spawn times and location could change all though contained within certain quadrants.

This could help with areas such as the Crown causing the holding faction to form resource squads to help maintain the hold instead of cert farming.
          • Up x 11
        • This should have been in since day 1, NTU energy is what created EVERYTHING in the PS world from a vanguard to a pistol.
          • Up x 6
      • this is what i would have said. with these add-ons (mostly 1-4) this would no doubt be one of the best games EVER!!!!!!
        • Up x 5
        • Down x 1
      • I logged in just to vote this post up, yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. Absolutely YES to everything in this.
        • Up x 22
        • Down x 2

• This part I really like.
        • Up x 3
        • Down x 1

• YES so much yes.
        • Up x 7
        • Down x 1
      • the ablility for and outfit that has ranked up enough (as an outfit, not the members) to pick a terittory within an certan radius of the warpgate to call there own. IE to upgrade the defences, spawn at when logging on, perchase the ability to spawn outfit only planes/armor at. A place to give the more accomplished outfits an home to fight for other than the warpgate, for outfit bragging rights. And if u lose ur home to the other empires u spawn back at the warpgate like normal untill u take ur home back.
        Cheers m8
        • Up x 12
        • Down x 1
      • "A target in the "home warpgate"
        FUN! and that rewarding temporary victory place we are missing that only a good explosion at the end can fill.
        • Up x 16
        • Down x 1
      • Asking for a lot, ha ha but some decent ideas. The idea of locking a continent down is great but I dislike the idea of warping everyone out. This seems like it would be very jarring to the game and make it impossible for the last-minute hero squad to save the day. I agree it should take down the warp gate so players can no longer spawn in to the continent and it should disable all enemy spawn functions, but the players that are alive and well should have the option of fighting back and re-taking the continent. This would be extremely difficult as you would in effect be in a one life to live position so it would make death feel more personal at that point. However if a very good coordinated platoon was still left on the continent they could possibly take back certain hubs that would allow the warp gate to function again. You could concentrate the battles to a few hub locations and thus make it easier for the capturing faction to eradicate the remaining enemy forces. This would be easier, but still require some skill and work.

If the remaining forces should secure one of the nodes it could activate the warp gate functions in stages. e.g. if they hold one node their squad / platoon spawn systems could function, if they secure a second the ability for other members of that faction to warp in but be spawned at a random location would be available, if they secure all three the warp gate would comeback online after a certain duration (as if it needs to power up). In this way a good platoon that does well and out performs odds that are stacked against them they can progressively re-enable the spawning of fellow troops and possible prevent the lock.

If the capping faction eliminates all the enemy players it will lock the gate for a decent duration and provide a well deserved reward of boosted resources. Also to prevent players from camping and hiding to prevent the lock, There should be a count down timer such as thirty minutes to secure one of the three nodes before the warp gate randomly warps all the enemy players to another location on another continent. This would force a rush on those three locations with the capping faction with a huge advantage of re-spawn.

So this would end up looking like this. X faction caps the entire continent and then rushes to defend the three spread out nodes, and any remaining enemy forces will likely focus on one of them. This may result in a side effect of an uneasy short lived alliance, such as VS takes control but there are three NC and two TR squads remaining, They may choose to hold their fire on each other and help one another cap one of the nodes to enable them to prevent a lock down. Regardless it would force a concentrated battle with the capping faction likely to secure their lock due to the spawn advantage.
        • Up x 41
        • I like this also because it would force the opposing team the further defend the region until they are positive that all resistance has been eradicated - it would give the kicked out forces time to regroup on other continents. No?
          • Up x 6
          • Down x 1

• It is things like this that drive me to build my gaming computer so I could play this game. At it's current state, it feels to boring if you play 500+ hours, as you feel like you have seen everything. If this is added, you would have more of a drive to fight.
          • Up x 1
        • well how it works is to get the conintent lock you have to capture all bases including warp gate this makes capping anything else impossible unless you have sundys but territorys will never be taken since its locked you always need a base connected to a enemy base but without a base capping is impossible.
      • maybe we could hit the target with this?
        [IMG]
        • Up x 39
        • yes we need that
          • Up x 7
        • What is this for? I want one!!
          • Up x 7
      • Lol, lets add PvE and NPC towns while we are at it! /sarcasm But seriously, good ides, cept for the tunnel one.
        • Up x 6
        • Down x 1
        • Down x 2
      • How about making stuff that's already in game work property and make sense? For Example: A one size fits all template has been used for the placement of base defensive turrets. The anti-vehicle and troop turrets have fixed ranges vertically regardless of the terrain they are facing. So on Endar at Quartz Ridge Camp on the north side facing that nasty uphill crawl though the canyon the anti-ground guns are basically useless because you can only shoot at the ground very close to the base. Same case with West Highlands Checkpoint. Dahaka Amp Station has an over abundance of anti-ground but is light on anti air. The fortification between Dahaka and CoraMed Labs anti-ground turrets face the road but can't see over the ridge to the south, On and on like this the list goes. Where ever terrain is next to a fort there is goofy turret placement that no logical builder on site would have done - so where does that leave the planet of Esamir? All steep terrain - all mess.

On the proposed changes I hear folks liking the idea of more sustainable player changes to the world. I like that too. There is a problem with the capturable warpgate idea though. That problem is giving a winning side too much of a snowball effect. In a real take and hold territory fight the reality of holding more territory is that you have that much more resources but also that much more to defend. If opposing factions can be "locked" off of maps you can get to the situation where the winning team can hem the other two factions into two spawn points and hold them there nearly indefinitely because they have all the other warp gates locked down and are getting all the resources or you can have 2 stronger factions with their own planetary maps locked down fighting over the defeated 3rd factions planet - therefore converting a 3 planet map game into effectively a one planet map game.

The fact that the maps can dramatically change, and frequently do so currently, but it takes hours to accomplish - is a testament to the well balanced nature of the current system.
        • Up x 10

• That Sounds so awsome, if they did this to the game i think i would never stop playing!!!
        • Up x 1
      • I find this all intriguing, but my questions:
        Will we be able to pick a new place for our base that we so painstakingly pooled our resources for when you rotate the warpgates on us? Or will we find our base now located far behind enemy lines?
        • Up x 2
      • How about as an incentive to participate in large battles or achieve the strategic goal for the faction, an XP or CERT bonus to those in the area or those who participate?
      • OMG this has one idea missing... OUTFIT BASES a spot for an outfit to meet, greet, and do other things like, outfit missions which give rewards like cert points and weapons (crazy but i think that a outfit member can upload weapon designs, strengths and also sell the model at a shop) there are other things i can think of like vehicle designs but it could cause strain on the game. Also outfit aoutpost locations where an outfit can put a building that acts like a sunderer with other vehicles and is exclusive for the outfit.
        • Up x 1
        • Down x 1
      • Comments added under your original points.
      • ALL OF MY YES!!!!
        I think every single one of these points deserves it's own post, and to be individually addressed by the Devs.
        • Up x 1
      • On the note of resource collection.... it would add a lot more excitment if places like the excavation sites had things actually being harvested and need protecting and such
        • Up x 1
      • Everything but this
      • political system make it happen soe.
    • timed lock adds absolutely nothing to the game if it's not player enforced. It's just a timeout, adds no depth or 'meta' as is. I've yet to figure out the player driven hype about the 'timeout' gimmick. I hope it gets tweaked sooner rather than later because there's a lot of potential with this idea.
      • Up x 12

• Yeah, continent locking on its own cant fix the metagame because it doesn't add any long term persistence, and without long term persistence, there cant be any long term progression other than grinding certs.

Without long term progression, nothing, no victory or defeat, can feel sufficiently rewarding or meaningful.

It really, really sucks to win an awesome battle and go to bed wondering how it helped your faction progress, only to wake up to find an entirely different map. You instantly realize that it didn't matter one bit whether or not you won that battle last night. With that, you also realize that you will never be able to make any progress, ever, and all of your victories and defeats will be equally meaningless and hollow. This can be extremely disheartening for both new players and veterans, and can really hurt a persons motivation to continue playing.

It doesn't really matter how, but in order for the game to feel rewarding we need to be able to make some kind of real long term progress. The more dynamic and player driven it is, the better.
        • Up x 20
    • Planetside1? Nice...This new dynamic approach would seamlessly fall into some different type of captures at bases too, anyone remember an entire factions attention turning to the poor sole running the LLU across the map once they realize hes actually gonna make it a couple grids away from capping? Or cave mods, =P Epic...
      • Up x 3
    • Just to get my comment attached to the top:

This would be good for Feburary. It's not too difficult to code a trigger to change ownership of a the warpgate when a cont gets locked.
      • Up x 1
    • This sounds like a very interesting Idea! I would like to see how it works in play. However there comes a point where you don't want to lock the continent because you want more certs. Since capping is the fastest way to actually lvl. As kills only really equal about a 1/5 of the xp a cap does.

Last night we had a full platoon that swept the continent in 2hours earning around 120 certs while the VS and the VU fought over the crown. We completely cut them off demoralizing them to a point where they couldnt do or spawn anything for the fight.

In that fight for 4 hours over crown I doubt anyone got 120 certs. Dont get me wrong I am not against continent locks, I am against the fact that you potentially loose a lot of certs multiplied by the amount of time its locked for.

I really hope "IF" continent locks are put in place that the reward for spending the time doing it is worth the potential loss for 24hr, 48hr or 72 hour (or what ever it will be) lock.
      • Up x 1
    • Yep in the old PS1 days you felt the accomplishment of a cont. lock after a very long maybe 2 day battle to seize just 1 cont. and keep the benefits for a while. I was NC mostly back then and when we got a lock we did the typical "Arab street" shoot your automatic weps in the air move. :D
    • the only problem is server population....
      • Up x 1
      • I agree, what happens when you suddenly need somewhere to put the 1000-1400 people about to get expedited out of a locked continent? It would be nice if Hossin was available, but SOE keeps merging servers, overcrowding them, not leaving any overhead and causing painfully 50+ long wait times during events...

/rage

Still a bit peeved over the Waterson/Jeager merge... Anyways, a smarter thing to do would to ensure that each server has a good balance of people from across all time zones, ensuring that there's always enough people online across all factions, in order for there to be a decent fight on all sides, at all times of the day.
        • Up x 3
        • I am against this whole continent locking idea! I am concerned that 2 of the 3 current continents will become locked and then we all will be forced on one continent. Ex. Let us say, NC take Amerish and TR take Esamir. Then Vanu will be forced onto Indar due to being "locked" out. No NC or TR is gonna wanna hang on a capped continent that has no battles.... I mean what is the point? No battles, no capping = no certs. I highly doubt the NC and TR are going to fly around Amerish and Esamir for sight seeing. The one continent that ends up not being locked will be so over populated that one will be stuck in the "queue" to be transferred for eternity or worse not be able to transfer because there are too many people. And don't even get me started about players having 3 characters (NC, TR and Vanu) on the same server. I think continent locking is a big mistake and SOE should not implement this!
          • Down x 2
          • Late reply, but I just read your post :p

Anyway, I think the Battle Islands are where the majority of the fighting will be happening when continents are locked. Once a continent is locked, the defeated forces need to retreat to one of their other warp gates or a Battle Island (which I like to think of as a tunnel or roadway that leads to the next continent). In order to move to the next continent the attacking force must first take the connecting BI in order to launch an invasion. Plus the only continents that can be "locked" are Hossin and the individual home continents by their respective faction. The other continents can never really be locked because each continent is a home continent.
            • I had a flash of inspiration the other day...

What if each home warpgate was placed on the Original 3/Battle Island/Hossin crossroad? That way each faction would have 3 possible routes to attack, on 3 completely different maps. It would certainly reduce overcrowding, and increase tactics by allowing a faction to push say, across a battle island to a neighboring continent, take the warpgate, and then push back to the original one to posses 2 warpgates. Kind of like flanking, but on a massive scale, in true PS2 fashion...

Also, battle islands in between the original 3 + Hossin, unless the Devs have another method for smoothing out the transition of taking warpgates in order to push onto other continents.

Thoughts anyone?
              • Up x 1
    • I love the idea of this BUT there is one fatal flaw and it goes like this...
      two days ago me and my Outfit were taking over Amerish at about 21:30 GMT and so when we took over most we they left as they came from America (I'm English) so I stayed on a little longer and just before I left I saw that there was quite a number of NC and it was growing... and FAST. So I log back in the next day and what do I see. ALL THREE of the continents had been conquered by NC whilst the majority of TR and VS were away now if that had continent locked then what because NC had zerged like mad and if it had locked then I wouldn't have been able to play at all so that could be a problem.
    • About time! Now you can actually Sanc lock a faction for being turds like PS1.
  • This is needed badly. I'd say bump this and Hossin up to February and get it out quickly. I love PS2, but a metagame is sorely needed at this point.
    • Up x 79
    • Down x 3
    • This is very high priority, but I'd hate for them to screw it up by rushing.
      • Up x 14
      • Agreed to a point. but I still believe this and hossin need to happen before most of the other features list in the roadmap ahead of them.
        • Up x 1
        • Down x 1
        • Disagreed to a point. I'd rather they take their time and get it right, than to rush it.
          • Up x 1
  • This is so absolutely critical it's not even funny.

But why release this in March when Hossin isn't until April? Isn't this pointless?
    • Up x 38
    • Down x 1
  • YES, any twinkling of the groundwork for a more meaningful metagame is badly needed.
    • Up x 12
  • No need for an actual lock, just make warpgates between continets connected and capturable (preferably by actually capturing it). This way you can lock a continent by capturing all warpgates, kinda like in risk.
    • Up x 28
    • Down x 6
    • Seems like this is a controversial idea, let me elaborate: Each warpgate will be connected to one other warpgate on one other warpgate. This way, when you capture all warpgates on a continent, it is effectivley locked, since the enemy can't get there anymore. This would make a continent lock more 'organic'. It does rely on the idea of home continents of some kind, to prevent an empire from having no footholds at all.
      • Up x 20
      • My only critique is I don't think there should be a "home". If you can lock all the warpgates and eradicate all your enemies from the server then you win. That would add a true victory to the game. Sanctuaries are a gimmick and prevent a true victory.
        • Down x 16
        • Up x 5
        • Sorry, but that doesn't fly in a f2p game where people pay for unlocks.
          • Up x 4
          • Down x 3
        • Most ridiculous comment I ever read and you obviously never played PS1.
          What you are saying is lock out players from even playing the game by capping all WG's.
          WTG your Empire just killed the entire server. No one would play if this was a possibility.

A sanctuary is needed so there is a remote chance your Empire can at least push back and gain ground. Capping all WG's(minus the Permanent Empire Sanctuary Gates) did happen in PS1 on occasion. And when it did it was considered a server win for that empire.
          • Up x 7
          • Down x 1
          • Just have the server reset once a faction conquers all of Auraxis.
            • Up x 5
            • Yup. No point kicking everyone out of the game. I think 'locking' and kicking everyone off of captured continents just because a warpgate is captured is a bad idea, but there's no sense locking the entire server if the world is conquered.

That said, I think recapturing warpgates from a sanctuary should be a rather tricky proposition. Not impossible, but harder than continent-to-continent. Not sure how to implement this per se.
              • Up x 1
              • Down x 1
              • Ok, so you just spent 3 days capping every dang continent, then win that final bar fills, and you have finally, finally won, everyone just comes back in, rushing and overwhelming you, making those 3 days of continuous fighting completely worthless. People need a goal to work towards, otherwise they get demoralized and stop playing. A continuous war, with no goal whatsoever, other than almost worthless resourses, is no fun. If SOE really wants to boost the popularity of this game, make there be a point to it.
                • Down x 3
                • Up x 2
                • If you want final goals go play single player games, the whole point of planetside is there is no end.
                  You wont lock all 3 continents unless everyone that hates to lose switches sides to whatever side appears to be winning, tbh.. i hate ppl like that, but it happens.

Continent locks wouldent and shouldent last so long that it would ruin the game, it woud defeat the whole point.
                  And making a Point to a game is an imposibility, its a game, its point is entertainment if you dont feel entertained with just shooting people then play a difrent game. More objectives in the game itself may be usefull to make it more entertaining but its not an actual POINT, no MMO has an final objective, its all rince and repeat cover it up all you like.
                  • Up x 2
                  • But in this game, there is no rinse, it is just repeat. I enjoy this game immensely, but it will just get very repetitive if there is no tangible goal. I never said that the lock should be increadibly long, I just said there should be one. I also think that the locks should not be long, otherwise it just gets boring for the other teams. There should be a set timer, and then there should be a player-driven event that will unlock the continent.
                    • Up x 2
              • spawning should be contolled by the lattice. if you can reach the desired territory through only lattice links all the way from the home gate then you may spawn there. this way there is a planetary front line for each empire.
            • I'm for that. I want to be able to "win". Who cares if player are kicked out. You can just go play on another server, on a character on the other faction or take a break, IDK.

But I think it would be great if you could beat a faction to their warpgate and then it would be even cooler if there was a cinematic where you see your faction destroying their santuary and claiming victory! ... !

And then, if you win against the last empire, you have a even more epic cinematic for winning the whole continent.

THAT would be AWESOME!

But there should be a timer when you beat a faction (idk how long. Something reasonable.. from an hour to a few hours) where the faction takes control back of their sanctuary/warpgate. So that a faction doesn't get locked out for way too long out of the game because there are two factions left but none of them can overpower the other one.

And ofc it would be great to have rewards for participating in winning against a faction/ winning "the war". Things such as XP (ofc), maybe a title, maybe a decal.. or a "medal' .. Anything cool pretty much... but not too much.

Of course if a faction wins then the server resets to normal.
              • Up x 2
        • YES lets end the game!!!.. this was sarcasm.
    • This seems to be a much better way of doing continent locking.
      • Up x 3
    • I dont get exactly what youre saying. Are you saying make it where WG are assaultable at all times without having to capture all the territory on a map? And what do you mean "warpgates between continents connected"? Arnt WG already connected?
      • Assuming an ideal situation (with sanctuaries):

The warpgate is a capturable territory that functions like every other base.
        The middle glowy thing in the warpgate bubble actually works. It will teleport anthing that gets on it (e.g. infantry, tanks, fighters). Each warpgate can only send you to one other warpgate. So for example, if you captured the north WG on Indar, you could only use it to get to the south WG on Esamir. And the south WG on Esamir would only send you to the north WG on Indar.

All warpgates are paired up like this, forming a sort of network.

You can now 'lock' a continent when you own the entire continent, and all warpgates leading to it. Since no one can get in any more.

This leads to very interesting situations, as frontlines can suddenly be anywhere.

Hope that helps clear things up.
        • Up x 15
        • Down x 2
        • Ok, I think I know what you mean. So would you still be able to transport to other continents through the sanctuary?
          • Not really thought about this. The hard part is figuring how to prevent a faction having no WG being unable to spawn.

One option would be to have some WGs uncappable. in which case sanctuaries wouldn't be needed. It now becomes hard to figure out how to get to the action from your home WG. Can you instantly move between WGs? wouldn't that make defense way to easy? Not sure about this.
            • Up x 1
            • In that very unlikely scenario, is where the carriers come in.

The Carriers would be outfit mobile bases that could move between continents ( on the cost of Resources), but it would have a limited numbers of respawn per each Carrier( something near to two platoons per Carrier). And then in the case that a faction has no WG left the Outfits could move the carriers to the adjacent continents and try to take a WG back.

Each continent would have a limit number of carriers on it, and to travel between continents would take 15 minutes, besides if the continent was in lockdown the faction that owned the continent will receive a headsup about the carrier incoming.

And then you have carriers, Continent Lockdown and a more Elaborate Metagame between Outfits.
              • Up x 5
              • Down x 1
              • If they added carriers to the game, they need to add real aircraft not the current floating vtols and/or a better flight model.
                • Up x 5
            • Just make a given empire's last warpgate uncappable.
              • Up x 3
              • Down x 1
          • In PS1, the sanctuary had WGs that lead to different conts that were always open. It's what lead to there being "home continents" because the sanc had 3 WGs, 2 to a cont and one a jumper that would let you spawn anywhere as long as there was a connection.

Having only 3 continents (or 4 when Hossin comes in), it wouldn't work. The only solution is this continental lock system this thread is purposing. With it, it forces people to fight on all the continents, not just Indar (which seems to be a favorite on every server).

I think the lock should be 8 hours or when another empire locks a continent and then the WG re-opens. So if NC lock Amerish, and the VS take Indar an hour later, even though the 8 hours isn't up yet, the VS WG on Amerish opens back up.
        • How do you propose an unlock occurs? I agree with the idea that this would be a more organic locking method and be more rewarding for the faction who gets a lock, but It would need an elegant method of player driven unlocking rather than a simple timer. What would be a cool way for an unlock would be to use something like that released/leaked carrier ship. Make them outfit driven and limited and make them function as a ship that can navigate at warp, so an outfit can load up several platoons and a commander and select any of the areas outside of the nodes on a continent to warp to. This ship would function as a spawn point, vehicle and aircraft bays, etc. So you could warp in next to some node and unload several platoons with armor and air support at any node and have a good chance of capturing it, then working toward re-capping your home world's warp gate to allow other faction members to flood in.

This would also give a sense of long-term ownership like a base. Outfits could have their own resource pool for certs on things like this just like leadership points would be earned for squad or platoon leaders to unlock leadership abilities such as the orbital strike idea. This would add another level where an outfit that has many active members will be able to build up a long term benefit for the outfit. Making something like that ship upgradeable with AA turrets, additional vehicle and aircraft bays, etc would be an amazing way to allow players to have to cause the unlock.

They could limit the use of the ships to only be able to spawn into a locked continent so it would be rewarding to use them as they would be infrequent, but really powerful to establish a foothold on the locked continent. They could also have a minimum delay from when a faction achieves lock to when ships can warp in. So they would have some time to enjoy their victory.
          • Up x 3
  • Yes, except throw this into the February patch! The sooner the better.
    • Up x 27
    • Down x 3
    • Gotta be careful with this. If 3 continents (out of 4) ever get locked at the same time the server could end up in a state where it has more players logged in than continent slots available. I would hold off on this until we have at least 5 or 6 continents.
      • Up x 25
      • Down x 3
      • That's what I am wondering too. They need to add more continents if they want a meta game going.
        • Up x 1
      • I thought this would be an obvious thing but it isn't a long lock and they probably are setting it up dynamicly. 3.8k people on? 2 conts are required to be open. That kind of thing.
  • upvoted, but you need to be able to select what warpgate you spawn at.
    • Up x 9
    • Down x 1
  • The metagame update cannot wait till March. You need to move this to February.
    • Up x 35
    • Down x 4
  • This needs to be implemented tomorrow.
    • Up x 24
    • Down x 3
  • please make this a bigger priority then some of the February updates... which would include hossin....

please? lol
    • Up x 15
    • Down x 2
  • Guys, you are forgetting Searhus, Searhus will be out before this.
    • Up x 3
    • Down x 1
    • Rak
      Unless Searhus is a surprise in the next patch, they made no mention of it in the 6 month plan :(
      • Up x 1
      • very much doubt it
        • Up x 1
  • YES TO SANCTUARIES
    • Up x 19
  • What if the server is full? So all the people will get kicked because the continent is locked?
    • Up x 20
    • This is a problem.
    • hahahhahahahhahahahahahahah Full server on ps2...oh wait you're not joking
      • Up x 3
      • Down x 2
  • Yes to everything.
    • Up x 1
  • not a downvote in sight sir o7
  • Any metagame feature should be going in sooner rather than later.
    • Up x 17
    • Down x 1
  • Yes please!!!!

Though not simple adjancy.. the empire would need to be down to only the warpgate for it to be attackable. Thus a group could hold the Crown and prevent their warpgate from going under. ( of course all other current rules apply.. ie they would be getting no resources)

I value this change ( and all meta-game addons) above all other courses except anti -hack/anti -cheat
    • Up x 13
  • Give us Hossin and continent locking ASAP. The current capture mechanics are tired as it is
    • Up x 11
  • Good start, but you really need to step up the game with the metagame development.

As things stand, whilst not a bad idea. It is quite frankly nebulous. So continents can be locked like in PS1... ok... its beyond 'little snags being worked out' its quite simply... ok... then what? How does this lead to any sort of metagame beyond potentially resulting in certain maps not being accessible to players at certain times. In virtue of them being capped or not over a certain time frame.
    • Up x 7
    • Down x 1
    • As he said, it's a foundation. It's an initial start to having at least an objective you aim towards on a strategy scale, and then move on to your next conquest. It's not the be all and end all of the metagame. There's more to come, but it's a start.
      • Up x 3
      • I think foundation is a fairly charitable reading. What exactly is even being proposed beyond: eh... yeah you won't be able to go on continents, they'll be like 'locked'. ?
        • Up x 3
        • Down x 1
        • Precisely. The point being is that there's an aim rather than a push back and grind at warpgate until they break out. It's not brilliant but it's better than what we have now, which is the entire point of a foundation. Something to build upon.
          • I can't help but feel we are being farmed for ideas.

Nor can I really see what about this concept there is to debate, given the extremely scant to outright nebulous presentation of its details.
            • Down x 1
            • In what way is it nebulous? It looks pretty clearly explained and defined to me. The only thing that isn't is how long a continent will be locked.
              • Up x 2
  • yes. everyone is crowded on indar right now, if someone capped indar AND held onto it that would be cool.
    • Up x 2
    • Down x 1
    • Not possible i jut got off of a battle at the crown that has been going on for 3 ******* days!
      • Up x 1
      • Awesome :p
      • No way what server cuz I love battles there and I can't imagine all the action that must have happened there and for it to sustain for so long is amazing