Trying to decide on a new processor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Solis18, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I usually get around 40-60 FPS in lonely areas and 20-30 in large battles, with medium/high graphics settings. I've been playing around with it, even setting everything to low with render distance at 50%, and it's obvious that my CPU is the one that's bottlenecking in these large battles. Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3-540 @ 3.07 Ghz
    Video: ATI Radeon 5670 HD 1 GB GDDR5
    RAM: 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 Mhz

I'm already going to put more RAM into it, but I'm not very sure about my CPU. My motherboard (Biostar H55 HD) supports an LGA1156 socket which means I can only put old 1st. generation processors into it.

I honestly don't know if I should get one of these processors: Intel i5-750, i5-760, Intel i7-860, i7-870 and i7-880...

... or if I should get a new motherboard so I can get get a new-generation processor. Does anyone have one of the above processors so they can tell me how good they are at this game? Thanks.
  2. I have never used 1156 cpus, so I can't tell you how they will perform.
    I would say, get the best you can as you are going to need every drop.

If possible get a new motherboard, 1155 with Ivy bridge.
    Your gpu is abit old as well.
  3. Your motherboard seriously limits your options. The best option avalible to you in the i5-760. However, as this has been discontinued, getting it will be tricky.

If you want your upgrade to actually be really worthwhile, its going to probs necessitate a new motherboard and thus, clean install of windows (make sure your copy of windows allows this OEM, will not).

Its also most likely worth waiting till Intels new Haswell range launches as it'll push down prices.

Even then, do not expect miracles in terms of performance boosts.
  4. sure it does, OEM is just the hardware vendor version, normally shipped without any handbook nor telephone support, but it works using oem OS since win98 .... as they're normaly cheaper, but it's still a one pc/cpu license for normal users and not hardware bound.

i think you mean a recovery install partition or cd, which is normally bound to the hardware and lacks a propper installation routine...
  5. Wut?

Oem installs are bound to a motherboard. If you change motherboard (what I'm suggesting) the install key will not work.

I know exactly what I mean, the only way around this is to phone windows and ask nicely they unlock the key for use on a different system. Normally this will require you to explain that your old motherboard died and you could not get the same model. So good luck.

Its one of numerous extremely ****** up things about the industry.

6. hmm, maybe the EULA has more valid points in your country then in mine (most parts are against local law, so they're not valid), OEM (original equipment manufactures) versions are sold within normal computer stores where you can buy your hardware, too.
    they're deliverd without handbook and no support by microsoft, they're labled as OEM and are deliverd in white paperback, but normal dvd and license sticker and are a lot cheaper then the same non OEM windows version with handbook and support ...

they're not bound at the beginning, they work on any pc capable of running that particular version.
    once you installed it to your pc, you have to activate it, then it'll be bound to your hardware.
    if you chance your hardware, you have to activate it again, it's just a click on the 'online activation button' for those installs, if you have to install it several times again within a short period, you might have to call ms.
    there you have to type in your serial number within an automated computer call process without anything to explain to anyone and get a response key ... that's all and your os is validated again ....

no problem at all, done within max. 2 minutes ....
  7. Fair enough, i've heard of the process being more difficult in the U.K as well.

Under the terms of an OEM or OA license they are under no obligation to do that however, as the computer you bought, you bought with a license for only that computer. Changing the mobo is in effect making it a new computer.
  8. as you can buy an oem license here without any computer hardware, i think thats the point.
    you buy an OEM piece of software and ms has to make sure you can use it-

if you change your computer, it's still your software license you bought and therefore ms has to take care that you can use it with your new computer.

i think i remember they tried to disallow OEM software sales by sueing several vendors selling OEM, but failed and lost the case, so they have to act nicely and within the best interesst for their customers, elwise they have to pay money as a penalty fee per day they refuse to activate the software xD
  9. Huh, at this point I have no idea what your trying to argue with me about.

I was simply getting him to be careful about assuming his current windows install would work on his new PC. Most people buy OEM/OA machines with said licencses. People around this forum suggest mobo upgrades like it was akin to putting on a new hat. People might be in the situation where they find themselves without a working windows install. Is what I was trying to avoid.

Its also highly contingent on the country your in. I wouldn't assume anything.
  10. Its amazing that you are getting as many frames as you do honestly. Like most people here have been saying its fiscally responsible for you to upgrade your MB at this point and move to the new 1155 socket. You wont get much out of another 4 gigs tbh. Are you using 64bit?

After you upgrade your socket you are going to be limited in a big way by your GPU.
  11. The issue with the 1155 socket that needs to be pointed out however, is that its about to go out of date. Haswell has a new socket - The LGA 1150.

lol intel, you do this constantly.
  12. Aggravating, isn't it?

OP if you can afford it wait for Haswell and buy one of those. If you need to save some money, pick up an 1155 i5-3750k that will last you plenty of time especially if you OC it as it starts to age down the line. You can generally expect Ivy prices to drop once Haswell is out for some time. Just realize that in three or so years when you want to upgrade you'll be stuck buying a new motherboard yet again.

If you want something right now, the i5-3570k is the best option assuming you can afford it. If you must stay LGA1156, the older i5 that someone suggested above is your only real option but will be difficult to find.
  13. ... exactly one phone call to Microsoft later and your key works again. Magic! o_O

@OP: In all seriousness, get a Z77 motherboard and a 3570k when you can afford it - buying the old 3 digit generation is a waste of your money.
  14. Depends. It's pretty much up to the Microsoft rep on the line as to whether he wants to be nice to you or not. I've had some reactivate it for me and others decide that it meant something in their lives to make mine difficult. It works out better when the old mobo is outdated and upgradeable tech that "broke :rolleyes:" and all you could replace it with was a shiny new state-of-the-art one but you can easily still get that one cranky fellow on the line.
  15. try to find a used 875k and a decent cpu cooler.
    It is unlocked, so you can overclock it with ease.

wait, biostar h55? yea, you might as well get a new board. I mean, if you had a nice gigabyte p55 or something, I would understand why you would be attached.
  16. In different news - why are you using an OEM version anyway? Fork out the full version of Win 7 Pro and stop worrying about the damned OEM licensing for a good long while (General advice)
  17. MSI Z77A-G45 + i5 3570k you can upgrade you ram later but 2x4 hyperx 1866 mhz kingston is really cheap
  18. I would hold off from buying a new CPU considering the next line is right around the corner.